The Board Treasurer oversees the management of Chochmat HaLev’s assets and accounting for all Chochmat’s financial activities. The Treasurer is an executive and voting member of the Board of Directors and appointed in a manner consistent with our By-laws. The Treasurer handles the financial affairs with high standards and sets a tone of integrity.
Your volunteer commitment as the Board Treasurer will be 6-8 hours per month.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The treasurer guides the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in ensuring good fiscal planning, decision-making, and oversight at a governance level.
Their principal duties are to:
- Serve as Chair of the Finance Committee
- Work with Financial Committee and Executive Director to:
- Prepare the annual budget and its presentation to the Board for review and approval
- Ensure appropriate monthly financial statements are reviewed by the Board
- Ensure the Board regularly monitors the organization’s financial performance and alerts it to any important discrepancies between planned and actual figures
- Ensure the organization maintains the appropriate financial books and records and that these are accurate and up to date.
- Ensure that excess funds and reserves are properly held and invested
- Verify that donations and contracts for services are handled appropriately
- Ensure that payroll and other liabilities are settled in a timely manner
- Ensure that government tax filings and remittances are submitted on a regular basis
- Draft organizational fiscal policies
- Commitment to the mission and strategic directions of Chochmat HaLev
- An understanding of, and experience with good financial management and reporting, including non-profit accounting
- An appreciation of the kind and level of financial information needed at a Board level to support decision-making
- Familiarity with QuickBooks a plus
- The capacity to commit the time required to fulfill the responsibilities as described
- Meets the requirements for Board membership as described in the Chochmat Expectations of Board Members document