Urban Shtetl weaves its educational program out of six main components devoted to children, youth, and families.
- Shabbat Programming Every 2nd Saturday morning and 4th Friday evening. Includes Tot Shabbat for children 0-5, and Creative Children’s Shabbat ages 5-11.
- Holiday Celebrations With storytelling, songs, activites, and food.
- Family Learning Days With special themes to explore together
- Havurot Shabbat meals among families with children of similar ages
- B’mitvah and Pre-B’mitvah training Tsofeem, our Pre-B’nai Mitzvah class for 3rd – 5th grade, meets once a month to engage in learning activities that prepare youth and families for b’mitzvah ceremony and adult Jewish living. Then, children and families interested in b’mitzvah have the opportunity to prepare with Rabbi Lynn and Urban Shtetl mentors. Our approach to Hebrew language ensures reading Hebrew in a 6-8 week period, learning how to read Torah, leading a portion of the Shabbat morning service, and preparing and sharing a Torah teaching. Participants apply their learning through a weekend adventure and vision quest, and committing to a community service project.
- Spiritual Parenting Groups Support each other to identify and revitalize Jewish ethical values in the raising of children in this time and place.