You’re not meant to do this alone! We all want the benefits of more community in our life. We want our kids to have nourishing life-long friendships. We want our community to lend a hand when things are tough. We want to have quality relaxing time with our peers. We want ourselves and our kids to have a rich spiritual connection to our Jewish lineage, to feel part of something bigger, and to make it their own.
“It Takes a Village”… We’re building it, and we want you to join US!!
Our program is structured to maximize community connection and deliver meaningful Jewish experiences and integrative education for youth and families of the East Bay.
The program offers 3 main areas of support:
- We provide a variety of opportunities to learn core Jewish values and traditional practices via an alternative family-learning education model
- We provide support for families in integrating these experiences into their lives at home
- We facilitate families in building thriving local Jewish community
- Shabbat Havurah
Monthly Shabbat Havurah gatherings at home with a“Tribe” of 4-6 families. The Urban Shtetl will offer a menu of resources for families to organize and lead successful shabbat havurah experiences, including ritual, content, and organizational support.
- Family Learning Days
Nov. 12, 2017, Jan. 28, Mar. 11, May 6 2018 (Plus, a small closing on June 10)
Family Learning Days are community-wide gatherings for which include music, food, Jewish learning and storytelling as well as special art projects and are best for families with children preschool through grade 5.
- Saturday Youth and Family Program (see dates)
We will offer Jewish Educational activities during the Saturday Morning Blessing Service (on the second shabbat of the month) which will include Art, Music/song/drumming. Prayer, Dancing with the Torahs, storytelling, improv theatre and more!
- Parenting as a Spiritual Practice
Parenting support groups to help us navigate the challenges of parenthood and raise our children in our modern society with conscious and spiritual intentions.
- New Pre-B’nai Mitzvah class for 3 – 5th graders taught by Rabbi Lynn (see dates)
Joyous, learning-filled activities featuring Hebrew calligraphy, storytelling, text study, drumming and special guests. Torah Aura book and other supplies provided.Only open to Urban Shtetl members; no extra cost!! Two Sundays most months, 10:00am – 11:00am
- Chochmat HaLev Membership
- Program Fee (see below)
- If you have any questions, please contact the office at 510-704-9687
- $500 by October 1, 2017
- After October 1: $600
- New Chochmat HaLev Members can get 25% off membership and 25% off the Urban Shtetl Tuition.
- Bring a Friend! – Get $50 off your tuition for every new family you sign up.