Do you want to be part of a unique and meaningful community?
And build a home for your Jewish heart?
Chochmat HaLev, a premiere Jewish Renewal synagogue in Berkeley, is seeking an Administrative Director to manage its operational activities. Chochmat HaLev is a source of fresh, relevant, and inspiring pathways into Jewish practice. We are known for our welcoming and inclusive community, high-energy musical services as well as deep meditation and contemplative offerings to provide a meaningful spiritual experience to its members and extended community.
In this position you will manage and be assisted by our Administrative Assistant, Facilities Manager and Bookkeeper. You will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, Spiritual Leader, Musical Director, other staff and various volunteers.
Job responsibilities include:
- Assuring sound fiscal management through regular reporting and budgetary compliance
- Maintaining consistent and accurate communications at all organizational levels and public postings using a variety of media
- Maintaining and providing logistical support for regular and special organizational programming and committee work
- Assuring appropriate maintenance of our facility, including negotiation of long- and short- term rentals
- Supervision of paid staff and volunteers as necessary to perform these functions
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and people skills, demonstrated by successful supervisorial and collaborative experience, as well as knowledge of data systems and social media platforms to support a diverse and growing synagogue.
- Business acumen to manage budgets and finances
- Data management skills to maintain membership and financial databases to assure accurate and consistent data tracking and reporting
- Event planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, relationship building, flexibility and diplomacy
- Strong organizational skills to accomplish a broad variety of tasks in a timely manner
- Strong communication skills including social media and creative marketing tactics
- Ability to work collaboratively with Spiritual Leader
- Ability to work effectively with the Board, lay committees and community volunteers
- Ability to provide leadership to a diverse staff
- Three years related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Familiarity with Jewish practices required; knowledge of the broader local Jewish community preferred
Chochmat HaLev is a unique Jewish Renewal community that was founded in the 1990s, originally as a Jewish Meditation Center. We have over 200-member households, and over 1,000 join us for the High Holidays. We own our own building, a beautiful campus located within walking distance of the Ashby BART in South Berkeley. We are currently mainly offering services and events on Zoom, and are in the process of transitioning back to in-person and hybrid events this spring/summer. Our name means: Wisdom of the Heart.
Compensation, Schedule, & Supervision
- This position is 20-30 hours per week.
- The pay range is $50-$70,000 depending on experience, skills and hours.
- There is an opportunity to grow into a full-time position or Executive Directorship.
- This role is supervised by the President of the Board and works closely with the Spiritual Director and the Board of Directors.
- At times the Administrative Director will need to work weekends and Jewish holidays.
- You will have flexibility to work both remotely and from our beautiful campus.
- A dedicated office shared with your Administrative Assistant, with a view onto our landscaped courtyard.
- We are closed for one week near New Year’s, and one week in the summer, plus 2 weeks additional discretionary vacation time .
- You’ll receive complimentary membership to Chochmat Halev and entry to all our events.
- You’ll receive membership in the Bay Area Temple Administrators group, where you will collaborate with a network of administrative leaders.
Send your resume and cover letter via email to: Jeffrey Kessler, President of the Board Chochmat HaLev, firstname.lastname@example.org
2215 Prince Street
Berkeley, CA 94705